Select Page

I love this scene not only because it takes me back to the fun times I had playing high school sports, but because of the emotion of this scene. Coach Gaines tells his players that perfection is not about winning or losing, rather it is about giving everything they have and knowing that they could not have done anything more regardless of the outcome. This scene is all about trust, trusting oneself and trusting one’s teammates.

My word is my bond

A simple phrase, this is the motto of the London Stock Exchange. Rappers often quote this saying. “My word is my bond” is a way of saying that one can be trusted to keep a promise, or to pay a debt. The phrasing is strong. The promise is a bond, a much more substantial connection, and more than empty air.

In this Ted Talk, James Davis talks about how we come to trust people. Three factors drive trust: ability, benevolence and integrity. Davis says that trust is built when people live out their values and can be relied upon. This functions as a way to strengthen relationships.

Joel Embiid on “Trusting the Process” 

In the second paragraph, Joel Embiid spells out what exactly it means to “Trust the Process.” In his estimation, it’s all about having faith in what he’s doing on his own journey of success as a basketball player. Short-term goals are achieved in one process, and then these turn into larger goals, which require another process to be followed. The process isn’t just about achieving one goal, it’s about achieving all goals. Embiid trusts that things will work out because he trusts the process. He knows there is a plan, and he’s going to follow it, even after he achieves what he’s set out to achieve.